MCRR Cross BarsMCRR Steam Engines

Navigation menu
MCRR HomeMCRR HistoryLocomotivesProjectsRolling StockGift Shop"Orderboard" NewslettersEventsSpecial AvailabilityKids AreaBecome a VolunteerMembershipLinksVideo LinksWork WeekendsContact UsShop Blog

0-4-0 Saddle Tanker

Saddle Tanker

#2056 was built by the Davenport Locomotive Works of Davenport, Iowa in 1925. (Formerly known as W.W. Whitehead & Company and later known as the Davenport Besler Corporation.) 

The #2056 was built for P.T. Clifford and Sons of Valpariso, Indiana for track work and grading near Pierron, Illinois. After being sold to the Penn Coal Co in1930, the tanker was converted to standard gauge by Davenport Besler Corporation. The records are not clear for the period of 1930-1937. It is known that from May 1937 until September 1948 it worked in a gravel pit somewhere in Illinois, after which it was then sold to H.B. Graham in Gladstone, Illinois.

The next ten years it sat idle until January 10, 1958 when the 20-ton tanker engine was purchased for $400 by MCRR and moved to McMillian Park in Mt Pleasant, Iowa. It became a static display on the east side of the Hillsboro depot at the start of the Midwest Central Railroad. It is no longer located on the grounds.



 

    

 Midwest Central Railroad  Mount Pleasant, Iowa 52641 319−385−2912 (updated 01Aug16)